Thursday, October 7, 2021

The Fortitude of the Believer

Fortitude: 1 n: strength of mind that enables a person to encounter danger or bear pain or adversity with courage 2 obs: strength (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition, Principal Copyright 2003)

An extraordinarily gifted and innocent child sings her heart out and becomes well known world wide after competing on the talent show. Fast forward in time, the child is a young woman yet has gotten entangled with the deceptions of fame and fortune, her talent now tainted and no longer extraordinary. 

Another beautifully talented child has gone through those same temptations and trappings, yet years later she still has the morals and values she grew up with, her singing even more precious.

There's just something about seeing the outcome of a person that has held strong, remaining faithful to all that is true and righteous, not selling out for, well, for any reason.

Acts 7 tells us that Steven was a man full of faith and power of the Holy Ghost, doing great wonders and miracles among the people, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. He ends up being dragged out of the city and stoned, crying with a loud voice, "Lord, lay not this sin to their charge!" before he gave up his spirit to death.

Where ever did Steven get such courage and forgiveness, such fortitude!

How often as Believers we've joked around about how hard it is to quit a bad habit, instead of calling it sin/transgression or how we've been trying to be obedient to what the Lord has asked of us, some of us for years in certain areas, yet we go about saying in false humility and pride, "Well, I wouldn't do that, or I won't succumb to that, not me; I'm going to say NO to the pressures to do something I know God doesn't want me to do. (i.e., in the end times, et al)" 

Oh, really, will we? Are we?

How are we doing in our daily walk with Christ now; are we being obedient to all that He's asking of us, in this hour? If I'm not even obeying the Holy Spirit now in what I know He's shown me in even the 'smallest' areas of my own life, what makes me think I will have the kind of fortitude to stand against the most difficult trials and tribulations to come and still remain faithful unto the end

No, it's not easy to overcome addictions in our lives, it's very hard, wee doggie, talk about hard sometimes. If it were so easy then why is it so hard. (*smirking* well put, ole gal, lol) That's why Jesus came and died for us, to destroy the works of the enemy. In our lives, in us, in the world. Thankfully! *sigh*

The coercions, blackmails, threatenings to keep us from buying food for our families, take away our freedoms of speech, travel, livelihoods, our incomes, our homes, keeping our children from us for not complying, charging huge amounts of money if we don't comply, the list goes on and is getting horrifically lawless by the minute.

Will we remain faithful unto the end when we're personally faced with any of these scenarios? How do we achieve this fortitude that will keep us unto the end; how did Steven?

John 15, Jesus said He's the vine we're the branches, without Him we can do nothing. Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.  2 Corinthians 10:6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Galatians 5:16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.

2 Corinthians 12:9 His grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect through weakness.

Where's our faith in the power of the blood of Jesus Christ and what He finished on the Cross for us to apply in our lives? Revelation 12:11 But they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, AND they loved not their lives unto the death.

1 Samuel 15:22,23 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as when the voice of the Lord is obeyed? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and transgression is wickedness and idolatry. Because you have cast away the word of the Lord, therefore he has cast away you from being king.

Yowzer, that's serious stuff, right there!

Transgression is rebellion, sin, revolting against the authority of God, desertion, change of sides, more correctly a renunciation of allegiance and subjection to Father God, our Creator!

Now that's putting it into perspective, I'd say. When I don't cry out to Him to help me to walk in obedience, when I don't use the Word as my Sword in the Spirit, when I succumb to temptations/fall/sin/transgress...I've found I just cannot do it on my own, never could, never will. Duh.

Repenting means to quit doing something, turn away from it, like 180 degrees quit. So do I continue to sin because I know He is faithful and just to forgive me when I ask Him?

O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death! I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Then I myself in my mind serve the Law of God, but in my flesh the law of sin. Now then there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus, which walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit. Romans 7/8

There will be no excuses when we come face to face before Jesus's Judgement Seat for our disobedience/sins/transgressions/doubt/unbelief...I mean, everything we will ever need in our lives is written in our Manufacturers Guide, the Bible. Or that it's 'too hard', or that the 'frequencies from the internet' are too enticing to overcome, or that what they're putting in our food/medicines are causing us to, what, be disobedient? Not able to overcome? I don't need to mention every sin/addiction, it's all right there in the MG. You know, the Bible. We can each look it up, anything we wanna know, anything. (Just sayin. 😊)

But, you beloved, edify yourselves in your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost, and keep yourselves in the love of God looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, unto eternal life. Jude 1:20,21

I recall an elderly man many years ago that used to say something like, "Preach yourself holy." Am doing exactly that, speaking to myself, as well, absolutely, make no mistake.

I awoke this morning with all of this on my mind, how important walking in obedience to the Holy Spirit is in my own life. It's not always easy to overcome, but it must be possible, and it is, if He says so in His Word because He never lies. Ever.

If we're going to have the kind of fortitude that Jesus had when he faced what all He faced, and Steven, and every other human being that has had to take that stand for Christ, then we'd better get to it. Amen?!

Jesus's heart cries out to us to save the lost while there is still time: Steven in Acts.

And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly to publish the secret of the Gospel, Whereof I am the ambassador in bonds, that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. Ephesians 6:10-20

Nevertheless, though we walk in the flesh, yet we do not war after the flesh, (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God, to cast down holds.) Casting down the imaginations, and every high thing that is exalted against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, and having ready the vengeance against all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. Look ye on things after the appearance? If any man trust in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again of himself, that as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's. 2 Corinthians 9:3-7

No comments:

Post a Comment